Thursday, July 17, 2014

Reminder: It's 2014. (LGBT)



Recently, more and more people are starting to accept the LGBT community, to treat everyone with equality as much as possible, and that's absolutely wonderful. Personally, I'm not too eager to stick a label on myself, but I suppose I'm cisgender for now. However, if I were to start to doubt that, the society I currently live in will not allow that. The lovely people I've met online have told me that it doesn't matter what your gender is, and you should be proud of who you are. Many random strangers online love you, no matter who you are, even though they probably don't even know you exist.

Unfortunately, the people around me are very against lgbt rights, and I am not even allowed to get the least bit offended by that. Recently, I came across a Britain's Got Talent audition where three guys flamboyantly danced around in high heels. My younger brother who is 11 this year, starting screaming, "GAY!" This became insanely repetitive and I was both offended and disappointed that he still thinks being gay is wrong. My father walks past and also disapproves of the three seemingly gay men on the television screen. As I attempt to share my opinion, he stops me and insists that their actions are very wrong and are meant to be laughed at.

Dan Howell (aka danisnotonfire, a YouTuber notoriously known for being socially awkward) recently posted a video for his series 'Internet Support Group', where he gives advice to his fans in need of his help. One of his fans shared that she didn't know what gender she was, and quoted from Dan's answer,

"Why are you trying to put yourself in a box? You are in no rush to decide these things and stick a label on yourself. There doesn't need to be any introducing, you just do whatever you feel like, and at some point, after some experiences, you may know, and if not, it's 2014. Who cares?"

In my opinion, this pretty much explains it all. However, as the only person in this house who approves of lgbt rights, I feel very alone and somewhat trapped. Hopefully, someday I can be around more open-minded people, and at the very least have the freedom to share my opinions with others and respecting each other's opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment