Saturday, July 5, 2014

Judging a book by its cover.



I suppose most of us have been told to not judge a book by its cover. But guess what? Singapore is still looking at academic results to determine what kind of a person you are. I feel that these things are pretty much inevitable, considering the fact that we naturally judge and give first impressions of the people around us according to the stereotypes that our minds have learnt to recognize.

Similarly, I think Singapore's society would avoid anything that mentions sexually explicit things. However, I've come across someone working in the sex industry, and I was absolutely stunned by how intelligent and talented she is. She writes amazing articles on VICE, is an avid reader, and I'd say she's quite an artist. Anyone would think that such a person deserves more attention, but because she worked in the sex industry, even if she only did a few scenes, barely anyone would bother considering her work outside of the industry.

It's rather unsettling. I want to share her ingenious work to my friends, but I can't do so just because I'd be seen as a disgrace to the society, if you will.

Their loss.

No comments:

Post a Comment